Skills Impact held one of six commonwealth contracted Skills Service Organisation (SSO) roles between 2016 and 2022. As part of this role, we supported 12 Industry Reference Committees (IRCs), covering more than 120 sectors, and maintained more than 3000 units of competency and 400 qualifications.
In this role, Skills Impact was accountable for providing technical, operational and secretariat services to support IRCs to plan industry engagement and to guide training package development and review activities.
The IRCs guided and directed our work with industry to ensure training packages (i.e. units of competency, skill sets and qualifications) reflected existing and emerging workforce development needs.
All IRCs and their members were appointed by the Australian Industry and Skills Committee (AISC). Each IRC was made up of people with experience, skills and knowledge of their industry sector.
From 2016 to 2022 Skills Impact provided SSO support services to the following IRCs:
- Agriculture and Production Horticulture IRC
- Amenity Horticulture, Landscaping, Conservation and Land Management IRC
- Animal Care and Management IRC
- Aquaculture and Wild Catch IRC
- Food, Beverage and Pharmaceutical IRC
- Forest Management and Harvesting IRC
- Meat IRC
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturing IRC
- Pulp and Paper Manufacturing IRC
- Racing and Breeding IRC
- Timber and Wood Processing IRC
- Timber Building Solutions IRC
We provided the following services to these IRCs:
- Secretariat services and assistance with industry engagement, to gather information about skills needs.
- Development of Skills Forecasts and Annual Updates, as well as proposals for training package projects to review units, skill sets and qualifications.
- Undertook approved training package projects with oversight by the IRCs, including drafting units, skill sets and qualifications, in preparation for endorsement by the Australian Industry and Skills Committee (AISC).
We supported IRCs to improve and develop the following training packages:
- ACM Animal Care and Management Training Package
- AHC Agriculture, Horticulture and Conservation and Land Management Training Package
- AMP Australian Meat Processing Training Package
- FBP Food, Beverage and Pharmaceutical Training Package
- FWP Forest and Wood Products Training Package
- PPM Pulp & Paper Manufacturing Industry Training Package
- RGR Racing and Breeding Training Package
- SFI Seafood Industry Training Package
Note: Until 2022, Industry Reference Committees, with support from SSOs, had responsibility for training package development, including units of competency, skill sets and qualifications.