Skills Impact is a national Skills Service Organisation (SSO), funded by the Commonwealth Government. We are responsible for supporting Industry Reference Committees (IRCs) in the development of units of competency, skill sets and qualifications, for use by industry and the vocational training and education sector.
- Understands the importance of skills development.
- Has in depth knowledge about vocational education and training, skills standards and qualifications.
- Recognises the sustainable and economic value that grown and renewable resources, land-management based industries, and their value chains offer to the Australian economy.
Role of an SSO
Skills Impact is one of six SSOs who have received funding from the Commonwealth to support Industry Reference Committees (IRCs) in the review and development of training packages, including units of competency, skill sets and qualifications.
IRCs work with industry to ensure units, skill sets and qualifications reflect their existing and emerging workforce development needs.
SSOs are accountable for providing technical, operational and secretariat services to enable their IRCs to undertake their industry engagement and training package development and review activities.
We provide support services to the following IRCs:
- Agriculture and Production Horticulture IRC
- Amenity Horticulture, Landscaping, Conservation & Land Management IRC
- Animal Care and Management IRC
- Aquaculture and Wild Catch IRC
- Food, Beverage and Pharmaceutical IRC
- Forest Management and Harvesting IRC
- Meat IRC
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturing IRC
- Pulp and Paper Manufacturing IRC
- Racing IRC
- Timber and Wood Processing IRC
- Timber Building Solutions IRC
We provide the following services to these IRCs:
- Provide secretariat services and assist them with industry engagement, to gather information about skills needs.
- Develop IRC Skills Forecasts and Proposed Schedules of Work, Cases for Change and proposals for Training Package projects to review units, skill sets and qualifications.
- Undertake approved Training Package projects, including drafting units, skill sets and qualifications, in preparation for endorsement by the Australian Industry and Skills Committee (AISC).
We support IRCs to improve and develop the following training packages:
- ACM10 Animal Care and Management Training Package
- AHC Agriculture, Horticulture and Conservation and Land Management Training Package
- AMP Australian Meat Processing Training Package
- FDF10 Food Processing Training Package
- FWP Forest and Wood Products Training Package
- PPM Pulp & Paper Manufacturing Industry Training Package
- RGR08 Racing Training Package
- SFI11 Seafood Industry Training Package
Note: training packages were designed by Industry Skills Councils (ISCs) under the previous system for training product development. SSOs now have this role of developing training products, including units of competency, skill sets and qualifications, under new processes and procedures. ISCs as a government funded function no longer exist.