Skills Impact is the national Skills Service Organisation (SSO), funded by the Australian Government, to support the operation of Industry Reference Committees (IRCs). IRCs develop industry competency skills standards and qualifications for use by industry and the VET sector.
- Understands the importance of skills development.
- Has in depth knowledge about vocational education and training, skills standards and qualifications.
- Recognises the sustainable and economic value that grown and renewable resources, land-management based industries, and their value chains offer to the Australian economy.
Role of an SSO
Skills Impact is one of six SSOs who have received funding from the Commonwealth to support Industry Reference Committees (IRCs) in the review and development of training products, including skills standards and qualifications.
IRCs work with industry to ensure skills standards and qualifications reflect their existing and emerging workforce development needs.
SSOs are accountable for providing technical, operational and secretariat services to enable their IRCs to undertake their industry engagement and training package development and review activities.
We provide support services to the following IRCs:
- Agriculture and Production Horticulture IRC
- Amenity Horticulture, Landscaping, Conservation & Land Management IRC
- Animal Care and Management IRC
- Aquaculture and Wild Catch IRC
- Food, Beverage and Pharmaceutical IRC
- Forest Management and Harvesting IRC
- Meat IRC
- Pulp and Paper Manufacturing IRC
- Racing IRC
- Timber and Wood Processing IRC
- Timber Building Solutions IRC
We support these IRCs to perform the following functions:
- Gather information from industry about current and future skills to inform the development of training packages, skills standards and qualifications.
- Develop IRC work plans, business cases and proposals for training package projects to improve current industry skills standards and qualifications.
- Undertake training package projects, draft skills standards and qualifications, and prepare cases for endorsement.
We support IRCs to improve and develop the following training packages:
- ACM10 Animal Care and Management Training Package
- AHC Agriculture, Horticulture and Conservation and Land Management Training Package
- AMP Australian Meat Processing Training Package
- FDF10 Food Processing Training Package
- FWP Forest and Wood Products Training Package
- PPM Pulp & Paper Manufacturing Industry Training Package
- RGR08 Racing Training Package
- SFI11 Seafood Industry Training Package
Note: training packages were designed by Industry Skills Councils (ISCs) under the previous system for training product development. SSOs now have this role of developing training products, including skills standards and qualifications, under new processes and procedures. ISCs as a government funded function no longer exist.